Friday 23 September 2011

ELF Lip Stains

Hey

This post is a bit photo heavy!

These are more items that I got when E.L.F were running their 50%. These are Studio Lip Stains they retails at £3.50 (so I got them for £1.75) and they are available in 8 shades. I decided on Heartbreaker and Birthday Suit.

As we E.L.F studio range they come in sleek black boxes and then sleek packaging. More about them,

'Achieve full coverage that lasts for hours with this long-wear formula. Enjoy silky matte color or layer on the moisturizing clear gloss for a shiny look. With key Vitamins A & E your lips stay smooth all day long.

Directions

Apply the Stain to bare lips and allow to dry for a matte finish. Apply the clear gloss on top of the color for a shiny effect and to moisturize the lips if needed. Remove with any oil or cream based makeup remover or cleanser.
'


Below you have Heartbreaker on the top and Birthday suit on the bottom.


Swatches of Birthday Suit (right) and Heartbreaker (left). I loved the look of both as swatches.

Now on the lips,


Again in the images I love both shades but I am still on sure of them on my lips. Birthday Suit looked brighter on the lips then the image shows.


I couldn't wear them on their own as they are really drying and too matte. Also I would say its not really a satin as it is a lot thicker than a stain maybe more of a longwear lipcolour. When the said stain is applied alone it goes to feel slightly chalky on your lips so you really do need the gloss. Also on its own it shows up unconditioned lips.


When you apply the gloss some of the stain ends up on the gloss applicator which doesn't seem right for a stain, so again is disappointing. As it comes off on the applicator it makes the finish of the stain disappear. Once on with the gloss it didn't last long at all. You could wear the stain alone, though it does look a little strange and it would last loner but as soon as you apply the gloss there is no longevity to it. To me a lipstain should last most of the day, thus it should stain your lips, this does not.


I would not repurchase or try any of the others shades as it does not do what it says on the tin.


Have you tried the E.L.F Studio Lip Stains? What are your thoughts?


Thanks



7 comments:

Demonicsmurfette said...

I've got the same two as you. I agree that the gloss is an utter waste and ruins the 'stain' (I've moaned in my blog several times that it's not a stain and ELF need to sort out their names LOL). Try with other balms and glosses over the top though, as different textures can work with it (Soap and Glory's Sexy Motherpucker is my fav). I quite like the matte texture of it on its own though.

Ellie M said...

I quite like heartbreaker without the gloss :) xx

MyDesirables said...

i agree, i totally love elf and all but these are not stains, i also dont like how they apply they seem a bit messy. i have 3 of these. and was utterly disappointed the first time i bought them, i thought it was a gloss and decided not to go for these again. didnt realise during my second order they were in the same line, and was disappointed when i realised my mistake. thankfully i only got them during the sale

MyDesirables said...

if you get the chance, id appreciate it if you could follow my blog too

http://mydesirables.blogspot.com

Makeup and Mutts said...

They both look lovely on you! It's a shame they're so drying.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments. I will try with a balm.

Jay said...

oh they look lovely! I like heartbreaker :)

Oh you followed on my old blog, but here is my new one so hop on over, have a quick look & follow if you like <3

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...